The Ondo State Police Command has rescued 12 passengers kidnapped along the Isua Akoko axis of Ondo State after gunmen attacked two commercial buses travelling from Benue State to Ibadan.
The Command made this known in a statement issued on Saturday by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, following the overnight operation carried out by security operatives and local hunters.
The police said the incident occurred around 1:30 a.m. on Saturday when suspected kidnappers intercepted two Hummer buses conveying passengers and forced several occupants into a nearby forest.
Security operatives, working with local hunters and other stakeholders, were later deployed to the area for a rescue mission and manhunt for the attackers.
The statement said, “The sustained pressure mounted by the combined security team yielded significant success as twelve (12) kidnapped victims, including the drivers of the affected buses, were successfully rescued alive.”
It added that the victims were receiving medical attention while efforts were ongoing to reunite them with their families.
The Command said operations had continued in the area to secure the freedom of other victims still in captivity and track down the fleeing suspects.
Police authorities also disclosed that extra tactical and intelligence assets had been deployed to strengthen the rescue effort and support ongoing surveillance operations within the affected communities.
Commissioner of Police Felix Ohagwu visited the scene of the attack for an on-the-spot assessment and held meetings with community leaders, vigilante groups and other stakeholders.
During the visit, the police chief stressed the need for stronger cooperation between security agencies and residents to aid ongoing operations and curb criminal activities within the area.
The statement quoted the CP as reaffirming the Command’s “unwavering commitment to protecting lives and property across Ondo State and maintaining relentless pressure on criminal elements operating within the State.”
