The Togolese government has announced visa-free entry for citizens of all African countries holding valid national passports, with the new policy taking effect from Monday, May 18, 2026.
The announcement was contained in a communiqué issued by Togo’s Ministry of Security and signed by the Minister of Security, Colonel Calixte Batossie Madjoulba, in Lomé on Monday.
The government said the decision was aimed at promoting the free movement of people and goods across the continent while deepening cooperation among African nations and their citizens.
Authorities in Togo described the move as part of plans to position the country as a regional hub for services, business, culture, and human exchange at the heart of Africa.
The communiqué stated that the President of the Council had also reaffirmed his commitment to Pan-African ideals and continental solidarity tied to mobility across African countries.
Under the new arrangement, African travellers will be allowed to stay in Togo without a visa for up to 30 days.
The government, though, stressed that visitors must still comply with all immigration, security and public health conditions required for entry into the country.
It added that travellers are expected to complete a travel declaration through the government portal, voyage.gouv.tg, at least 24 hours before arrival to obtain a document that must be presented at border checkpoints.
“This document constitutes a prior administrative and security requirement,” the communiqué said.
Togolese authorities also noted that the visa waiver would not affect existing laws on illegal entry, unlawful stay, administrative policing and national security measures.
The Ministry of Security said all relevant agencies had been directed to enforce the policy across land, air and sea entry points into the country.
The government called on stakeholders to support what it described as “this major reform,” saying the measure would strengthen Togo’s standing in African cooperation and cross-border relations.
