The Ondo State Government has ordered the temporary closure of selected public primary and secondary schools across the state ahead of the House of Assembly election billed for Wednesday, May 20, 2026.

The directive was contained in a statement issued by the Ondo State Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, which said some schools across the 18 local government areas would serve as polling centres during the election.

The ministry said learners, teachers and other workers in the affected schools should remain at home on election day as part of measures to protect lives and property and allow for a peaceful conduct of the exercise.

The statement read, “All learners, teachers, and other staff in the affected schools are hereby directed to stay at home on the election day.”

It added that school heads in the affected areas would be contacted directly to ensure compliance with the directive, while officials from Zonal and Area Education Offices would assist with monitoring and enforcement.

The government also assured that arrangements had been made to allow candidates sitting for the West African Senior School Certificate Examination to continue their papers without disruption.

“Adequate arrangements will be made by school administrators to ensure the continuity of WAEC-SSCE examinations in the affected schools, while also ensuring the safety and security of students in boarding schools,” the statement added.

The ministry urged administrators of schools designated as polling centres to grant election officials access to facilities needed for the conduct of the poll.

It stressed that the directive only affects schools selected for electoral activities, while other schools are expected to continue normal academic work.

The government further announced that academic activities in the affected schools would resume on Thursday, May 21, 2026.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *